Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Week 3 EOC: My Demographics


                         Week 3 EOC: My Demographics   

In marketing  a  product  or  a  service,  demographics  means  a  lot. It is  always  important  to  know  who  your  target  customers  are. Their  are  many  different  age  groups, nationalities,  locations,  and  genders  to  consider  when  pitching  consumer  goods.  In  the  U.S,  it  is  easy  to  display demographics in three generation  groups. They  are  the  baby  boomers,  generation X,  and  the  millennials.  I  am  apart  of  the  generation x  category  and  for  the  most  part, I  agree  with  the meaning of gen X.
            According  to Armstrong & Kotler,  “Gen Xer  are  a  more  skeptical  bunch.  They  tend  to  research  products  before  they  consider  a  purchase,  preferring  quality  over  quantity,  and  they  tend  to  be  less  receptive  to  overt  marketing  pitches.” (Marketing An Introduction p73) That  quote  is  so  true.
            I  can  remember  buying  my  first  new  automobile.  I  was  looking  for  something  in  the  price  range  of  $25,000  to $35,000,  good  on  mileage,  high  performance and  most  important  reliable.  I  must  have  read  every  Consumer  Report,  Road & Track magazine  I  could  find. I  purchase  a  Kelly Blue Book  to  make  sure  the  dealer  won’t  beat  me  on  the  price. I went  on  the  internet  and  did  research  on  the  top  ten  most  reliable  cars.  I  even went  to  job  and  got  advice  from  some  of  my  co-workers,  who  claim  to  be  car  experts.  After  gathering  all  my  information, I  knew  what  I  wanted.  I  bought  me  an  Acura.  At  the  time  Honda  was  the  number  one  selling  mid-size  car  in  America.  And  since  Honda lack  style  and makes  Acura  with  style,  I  couldn’t  go  wrong.
            I  have  had  my  car  for  over  eight  years now,  and  besides  getting  an  oil  change  and  new tires,  It  has  never  been  in  the  shop  for  anything. The  Generation  X  in  me  was  happy  for  my  extensive  research.

No comments:

Post a Comment